"Ping" Winlink Gateway?

km4ack

Is it possible to "ping" a winlink gateway, using ARDOP, to see if you can hear it and it can hear you instead of just trying to connect? I am running piardopc on a RPi 3.

73,
Jason
KM4ACK

John G8BPQ

Yes, ARDOP has a PING command (PING CALL repeatcount) so as long as you are using a terminal program that lets you type in commands (ie not Winlink Express or similar) you can do that. The response includes the received quality and S/N ratio.

73, John G8BPQ

On 14/01/2019 19:02, km4ack wrote:
Is it possible to "ping" a winlink gateway, using ARDOP, to see if you can hear it and it can hear you instead of just trying to connect? I am running piardopc on a RPi 3.

73,
Jason
KM4ACK

km4ack

Thanks John. I am using Pat Winlink from the command line but it doesn't seem that PAT has a PING command. Can you recommend a light weight terminal program or can the PING be accomplished from the linux terminal on the pi?

73,
Jason
KM4ACK

John G8BPQ

It is possible to do it using a Telnet session. If PAT holds a connection to the TNC open you'd have to close PAT first. You might be able to use Linux telnet client instead of Putty. but the TNC ends lines with CR and Telnet normally expects CRLF, so unless you can override that all the output would appear on one line

73, John