FW: pi ALSA problems - was QtSoundModem freezing after transmit - new problem after recent Bullseye Upgrade

John G8BPQ

From: John Wiseman [mailto:john.wiseman@...]
Sent: 12 April 2022 09:10
To: bpq32@groups.io; ",users"@ardop.groups.io
Subject: pi ALSA problems - was QtSoundModem freezing after transmit - new problem after recent Bullseye Upgrade

Just to confirm, this seems to be something that has changed in the latest Bullseye and possibly other distributions using the same Kernel.

It also affects ardopc. I've uploaded new versions of QTSoundmodem and ardopc to https://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Test/

[ ]

QtSoundModem

2022-04-11 12:57

4.0M

[ ]

piQtSoundModem

2022-04-11 12:40

4.2M

[ ]

piardopc

2022-04-09 14:14

556K

[ ]

ardopc

2022-04-09 14:12

509K

[ ]

ardopc64

2022-04-09 14:12

573K

ardopc64 is for 64 bit Intel systems.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 12/04/2022 00:15, Greg Hovland - W9IKU wrote:

I have been using QtSoundModem for HF (7.104) for a couple of months without issue. I recently did an upgrade to the operating system and now the program seems to hang after one transmission. If I restart the program, I can do one more transmission, then it freezes.

Any suggestions from the group would be helpful for me before I just rebuild an image and start fresh (after saving config files off the pi).

I can make my way through Linux with youtube and webpage help, but am far from an expert.  On this image, I used the Build-A-Pi setup and then some modifications with some great guys on this group.

Thanks in advance,
Greg W9IKU

Paul N2KIQ

I can confirm the problem exists on Fedora 35, both x86_64 and arm64/aarch64.

I'm curious how you fixed it, I'm sure we came up with different solutions.

'73
-Paul

John G8BPQ

Paul,

The code originally checked that the pcm state changed from
SND_PCM_STATE_RUNNING. It seems that this now doesn't happen with the new
Kernel, so I now also check (every 50 mS) that the value returned by
snd_pcm_avail_update is changing.

73
John

after transmit - new problem after recent Bullseye Upgrade

I can confirm the problem exists on Fedora 35, both x86_64 and
arm64/aarch64.

I'm curious how you fixed it, I'm sure we came up with different solutions.

'73
-Paul

Alaskalinuxuser

Hey John,

Is there a repository for the changes that you made for these new fixes? I went to the Beta and Test folders and don't see a newer zip file with the latest code. I tried the latest ardopc64 in the Test folder on my 64 bit Ubuntu 22 machine, but they didn't work, so I was hoping to compile it on my machine to see if that worked better.

Thanks for all of your work on ardop, I've been using it for a year and love it!

KL4TH, Weston Howard, aka Alaskalinuxuser

John G8BPQ

I've moved the ardopc source from TeensyProjects to ARDOPProjects. I've just uploaded the latest source to

https://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Beta/ARDOPProjects.zip

73,
John

On 09/05/2022 14:15, Alaskalinuxuser wrote:
Hey John,

Is there a repository for the changes that you made for these new fixes? I went to the Beta and Test folders and don't see a newer zip file with the latest code. I tried the latest ardopc64 in the Test folder on my 64 bit Ubuntu 22 machine, but they didn't work, so I was hoping to compile it on my machine to see if that worked better.

Thanks for all of your work on ardop, I've been using it for a year and love it!

KL4TH, Weston Howard, aka Alaskalinuxuser

Alaskalinuxuser

John,

Compiling with your latest source code worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

KL4TH, Weston Howard, aka Alaskalinuxuser