Topics

A call to action to support the FCC proposal to replace the current 300 baud HF digital transmission limit with a 2.8KHz

Rick Muething

Fellow Users and Developers:

Yesterday the ARSFI board (Amateur Radio Safety Foundation Inc.  https://arsfi.org   ) filed with the FCC a comprehensive response to the online and media campaign that Theodore Rappaport has been leading to get the FCC to dismiss the pending Notice of Proposed Rule Making (Docket No. 16-239). The proposal would eliminate the current 300 baud limit on HF digital transmissions and replace it with a 2.8 kHz bandwidth limitation. We're in favor of this for many reasons, mostly because the advancement of the radio art is impeded without it, but for most Winlink stakeholders it will allow Pactor 4--finally--in the USA.

There has been a concerted emotional campaign led by Ted Rappaport that has stampeded many to make negative comments on this in an attempt to block this important step forward.

I encourage everyone to click on this link https://winlink.org/FCC_Action and to read what Rappaport sent the FCC and our response to his claims and to make your own informed decision about this important issue.

If you have a stake in this, we urge you to please immediately file a comment on the ECFS. It's easy to file a comment: Go to https://winlink.org/content/ECFS  Time is of the essence. You don't have to write a masterpiece. An 'express' comment that endorses the ARSFI filing is all that's needed.

Also, spread the word. Send the link  https://winlink.org/FCC_Action  to all you know who care, especially those you know in leadership positions with emergency management or government agencies, the ARRL, and organizations and agencies that have a stake in Winlink and use the modulation modes it supports.  Let them know, and ask them to take a few moments to put their opinion on the record, or simply say you agree with us with a reference to our filing.

Thank you for your support, interest contributions and encouragement in using and developing HF data modes and the ARRL's efforts to modernize our Part 97 FCC rules.

Gerald (Rick) Muething, KN6KB  Author of WINMOR and ARDOP, Winlink Development Team

Jerome Kutche <n9lya@...>

You have my vote... on way to link.